Seaborn John Austin1812 - Yes, date unknown
Name Seaborn John Austin Birth ca 1812 Jones Co, Georgia, USA Gender Male Census 1850 Muscogee Co, Georgia, USA p 393. Census 1860 Chattahoochee Co, Georgia, USA p 499. Census 1870 Chattahoochee Co, Georgia, USA p 33. Death Yes, date unknown Person ID I8733 My Genealogy Last Modified 10 Oct 2017
Father William Asbury Austin, b. 17 Mar 1776, Columbia Co, Georgia, USA d. 17 Aug 1850, Cusetta, Chattachoochee Co, Georgia, USA (Age 74 years) Mother Amelia Howard, b. ca 1781, Columbia Co, Georgia, USA d. 3 Apr 1864, Chattachoochee Co, Georgia, USA (Age 83 years) Marriage ca 1796 Georgia, USA Family ID F3868 Group Sheet | Family Chart
Family Christiana Crew, b. ca 1811, Burke Co, Georgia, USA d. Yes, date unknown Marriage ca 1833 Georgia, USA Children + 1. William J. Coleman Austin, b. 25 Jul 1834, Muscogee Co, Georgia, USA d. 11 Aug 1919, Mt. Pleasant, Ashley Co, Arkansas, USA (Age 85 years) + 2. Joseph Wesley Austin, b. ca 1838, Muscogee Co, Georgia, USA d. 15 Aug 1864, Atlanta, Fulton Co, Georgia, USA (Age 26 years) + 3. Dr. Allen Wesley Austin, b. 24 Apr 1840, Pike Co, Georgia, USA d. 27 Nov 1917, Portland, Ashley Co, Arkansas, USA (Age 77 years) + 4. Henry Marcellus Austin, b. 12 Aug 1845, Pike Co, Alabama, USA d. 24 Mar 1895, Ashley Co, Arkansas, USA (Age 49 years) 5. Leona F. Austin, b. ca 1847, Muscogee Co, Georgia, USA d. Yes, date unknown Family ID F3608 Group Sheet | Family Chart Last Modified 1 Mar 2019
Event Map Marriage - ca 1833 - Georgia, USA Census - p 499. - 1860 - Chattahoochee Co, Georgia, USA Census - p 33. - 1870 - Chattahoochee Co, Georgia, USA = Link to Google Earth
- From Kim Austin:
I was at the Dallas library tonight and noticed a book I had overlooked previously. It was one of those family heritage books for Ashley County Arkansas: REFLECTIONS OF ASHLEY COUNTY (including HISTORY OF ASHLEY COUNTY by Y. W. Etheridge) compiled by Robert A. Carpenter, Sr. and Mary Imogene Noble Carpenter in 1987. On page 195, family story F 18, there is an Austin story. There are some mistakes (for example: Seaborn J. Austin is called "Geaburn Austin') but I thought I would pass along the info anyway. "AUSTIN FAMILY": G(S)eaburn Austin, a doctor of medicine, did his practice on horse back, specializing in obstetrics. He and his wife had four sons: Cole, Henry, Joseph Wesley, and Joseph Allen Austin. Joseph W. Austin married Susan Jane Jones and remained in Columbus, Georgia. He fought and was wounded in the Civil War in the Battle of Shiloh, and died just before or right after reaching home of his wound. In the Arkansas Gazette of April 14, 1947, Joseph W. Austin was listed as being in the Company G, 6 Arkansas Regt., promoted to captain, and killed at Shiloh. He was the third son of Geaburn Austin.
To this union was born Luella W. Austin in 1861, and Joseph Marcellus Austin born in 1862. Susan Jane being a widow with these two children later married Dr. Allen Wesley; Austin born 1840, brother of John Wesley. These Austins moved to Ashley County and are now buried in Portland Cemetery. Some of the families settled at Mt. Pleasant and are buried there.
To the later union were born 9 children: Mary Ophelia, another Sallie Edna who married a Holloway, mother of Hunter Hollaway and a daughter. Hunter lives in Lake Village. Joseph Marcellus Austin married Carrie Daniel Christian and raised their children in Ashley County near Hamburg. After these children were grown they moved to the northern part of Hamburg. To this union was born Joseph Eugene Wesley Austin in 1888, Irma Austin who married Ashford Wooten, Nona and Alva both died very young, Garland Aubrey Austin in 1899 who married Maggie Adcock on November 21, 1921 and Vera Austin who married Edgar Henderson of Brinkley, Arkansas. Vera taught school for many years in Ashley County.
All the children lived in Ashley County at some time or another. Now they have grandchildren and great-grandchildren serving the best they can in many fields of endeavor, serving in the Air Force and other services. Most have their master degrees." submitted by Mrs. G.A. Austin
Just a few notes on this family from my files that may either confuse or clarify regarding the above:
Seaborn John Austin, born abt 1812 in Jones County Georgia, son of William A. Austin and Amelia Howard, and his wife, Christianne Crew, born abt 1811 in Burke County, Georgia, daughter of Henry Crew and Margaret. They had the following known children:
1. William J. Coleman Austin, born 25 July 1834 in Muscogee County Ga, died 11 Aug 1919 in Ashley County Arkansas, marr. to Rebecca Foster and (2) on 25 Aug 1880 to E. R. Stewart.
2. Joseph Wesley Austin, born abt 1838/1839 in Muscogee County Georgia, died 15 Aug 1864 in Atlanta, Fulton County, Georgia, marr. to Susan Jane Jones on 1 Nov 1860 in Chattahoochee County, Georgia.
3. Allen W. Austin, (he was listed on at least one census record as "WiIly"----this leads me to believe his middle name was Willis---not Wesley as listed in some of the info from the Arkansas descendants or Joseph Allen as listed in the info in the book quoted above). Considering his brother was named Wesley, this makes more sense---at least to me!), born 24 April 1840 in Pike County, Alabama, died 27 November 1917 in Ashley County Arkansas, buried in Portland Cemetery in Ashley County Arkansas, marr. to Mrs. Susan Jane (Jones) Austin (widow of his brother, Joseph W.) on 21 Dec 1865 in Chattahoochee County, Georgia.
4. Henry Marcellus Austin, born 12 Aug 1845 in Pike County, Alabama, died 24 March 1895 in Ashley County Arkansas, buried in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Ashley County, Arkansas., marr. to Martha E. Belle MOOREFIELD on 3 Dec 1868 in Chattahoochee County, Georgia and (2) to Mary Elizabeth SCOTT.
5. Levonia or Leonia F. AUSTIN, born abt 1847 in Muscogee County Georgia (I think she was born in Alabama)
Also see HISTORY OF CHATTAHOOCHEE County Georgia, by N.K. Rogers, page 292; ABSTRACTS OF WILLS OF CHATTAHOOCHEE County Georgia, page 285; INDEX TO ARKANSAS CONFEDERATE PENSION APPLICATIONS, compiled by Desmond Walls Allen, p. 33; MARRIAGE INDEX: ARKANSAS 1779-1992, SEC. II, CH. 1, ASHLEY County Arkansas (on Broderbund Software Family TreeMaker CD); CHATTAHOOCHEE County Georgia MARRIAGE RECORDS 1854-1888 compiled by Frances T. Ingmire; TOMBSTONE INSCRIPTIONS AND NOTES OF ASHLEY COUNTY ARKANSAS compiled by the Ashley County Arkansas Historical Society; ARKANSAS DEATH RECORD INDEX FOR 1914-1923 (and also the info that Carolyn sent us over the internet that she obtained from the descendant---Henry and Peggy Austinin Arkansas
The family moved to Pike County, Alabama sometime between 1834 and 1840. Troy Masonic Lodge 56, Pike County, Alabama records 1851-52 list Seaborn J. Austin as a member of this lodge.
- From Kim Austin: